The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development is unprecedented in its scope and ambition. The UN and governments have neither the reach nor the resources to implement it alone. Engagement, especially with the private sector, is imperative for the 2030 Agenda to succeed.
The private sector with its unparalleled reach has the capacity to be a key driver to achieve the objectives of the 2030 Agenda and in some cases is already performing this role. The UN and its member states must seize the opportunity of forming strategic partnerships with private sector entities and advocating for businesses to embrace sustainable development in order to achieve the 2030 Agenda.
Moreover, the 2030 Agenda offers the private sector numerous opportunities to access new markets and institutional investment, estimated at about $12 trillion by 2030 while adding 380 million new jobs. This in itself is a compelling argument for the private sector and governments to work together to make the 2030 Agenda a reality.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Benefit from an in-depth understanding of the imperative to engage with the private sector for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the concept of shared value;
- Understand that the private sector is not a monolithic entity and how it can be engaged at every level, international, national and local;
- Demonstrate an understanding of frameworks to design and tools to develop partnerships with the private sector;
- Demonstrate an improved understanding of the importance of due diligence before pursuing engagements;
- Be able to articulate the need for and advocate for more private sector engagement in achieving the 2030 Agenda.
UNSSC online courses are designed to deliver maximum learning outcomes through optimal time investments into carefully chosen high-quality learning materials. Specially tailored to the needs of the professional interested in developing skills to advance their career or deepening their knowledge on a particular subject matter, our highly facilitated online courses combine self-paced study modules with applied learning components such as case studies, interactive exercises and collaborative group work.
Participants also benefit from live moderated webinars which feature valuable inputs from renowned subject matter experts, and allow real-time dialogue with the high-level speakers. Webinar recordings are also made available to ensure that participants have a flexible and seamless learning experience. A competent facilitator guides and assists the participants all along the course, and provides real-time feedback on activities and exercises. Our user-friendly social online learning platform provides participants with the opportunity to connect with peers from diverse organisational backgrounds, fostering peer-to-peer learning.
While being interactive and participatory, UNSSC online courses give learners the opportunity to complete activities when it best fits their schedule. Participants are largely free to determine their own weekly study plan. Lasting 5 weeks and demanding 6 hours of dedication a week, UNSSC online courses incorporate the same high academic rigour as any UNSSC face-to-face programme.
- Week 1: How partnerships are vital to the 2030 Agenda.
- Week 2: The role of the private sector in implementing the 2030 Agenda.
- Week 3: How to pursue partnerships with the private sector: frameworks for action.
- Week 4: Due Diligence: protecting against reputational risk.
- Week 5: Engaging with the private sector: way forward.
UN staff, especially partnership specialists and officers. Development practitioners from governments, civil society, academia and the private sector.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of USD 500 covers the following:
- Unlimited access to course materials (video and key readings), recording of webinars and speakers’ presentations;
- Participation in live webinars with renowned experts from the UN, the private sector and academia;
- Exclusive access to UNSSC online social learning environment with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues.
Certificates from the UN System Staff College will be awarded to participants upon completion of the course