The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development is unprecedented in its scope and ambition. The UN and governments have neither the reach nor the resources to implement it alone. Engagement, especially with the private sector, is imperative for the 2030 Agenda to succeed.
The private sector with its unparalleled reach has the capacity to be a key driver to achieve the objectives of the 2030 Agenda and in some cases is already performing this role. The UN and its member states must seize the opportunity to form strategic partnerships with private sector entities and advocate for businesses to embrace sustainable development in order to achieve the 2030 Agenda.
Moreover, the 2030 Agenda offers the private sector numerous opportunities to access new markets and institutional investment, estimated at about $12 trillion by 2030 while adding 380 million new jobs. This in itself is a compelling argument for the private sector and governments to work together to make the 2030 Agenda a reality.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Understand the need to engage with the private sector for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda
- Demonstrate familiarity with frameworks and tools to develop partnerships with the private sector
- Appreciate the importance of due diligence before pursuing engagement
- Acquire the ability to articulate the need for and advocate for enhanced private sector engagement in achieving the 2030 Agenda
UNSSC online courses are designed to deliver maximum learning outcomes through optimal time investments into carefully chosen high-quality learning materials. Specially tailored to the needs of the professional interested in developing skills to advance their career or deepening their knowledge on a particular subject matter, our facilitated online courses combine self-paced study modules with applied learning components such as case studies, interactive exercises and collaborative group work.
Participants also benefit from live moderated webinars which feature valuable inputs from renowned subject matter experts, and allow real-time dialogue with the high-level speakers. Webinar recordings are also made available to ensure that participants have a flexible and seamless learning experience.
A competent facilitator guides and assists the participants all along the course, and provides real-time feedback on activities and exercises. Our user-friendly social online learning platform provides participants with the opportunity to connect with peers from diverse organizational backgrounds, fostering peer-to-peer learning.
While being interactive and participatory, UNSSC online courses give learners the opportunity to complete activities when it best fits their schedule. Participants are largely free to determine their own weekly study plan. Lasting five weeks and demanding six hours of dedication a week, UNSSC online courses incorporate the same high academic rigour as any UNSSC face-to-face programme.
Week 1: How partnerships are vital to the 2030 Agenda.
Week 2: The role of the private sector in implementing the 2030 Agenda.
Week 3: How to pursue partnerships with the private sector: frameworks for action.
Week 4: Due Diligence: protecting against reputational risk.
Week 5: Engaging with the private sector: way forward.
UN staff, especially partnership specialists and officers. Development practitioners from governments, civil society, academia and the private sector.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
UNSSC fosters collaborative peer-to-peer learning among its course participants. To achieve this, UNSSC adopts a rigorous methodology in its selection process that considers the course's scope, objectives, and expected outcomes. UNSSC utilizes specific selection criteria for its course participants to promote cohort-based learning and increase course impact. Interested individuals are encouraged to sign up for the moderated online course and be ready to complete an additional comprehensive selection survey after the course registration closes.
The selection criteria include quality of motivation, professional experience and knowledge, commitment, diversity (gender, geographic region, sector, etc.), and willingness to contribute to the course.
- Register for the course by clicking on the sign-up button. Please provide a clear motivation statement and a short explanation of the benefit you can derive from the course as well as your possible contribution to enriching it. Course registration opens on 14th February 2021 and closes on 20th April 2021.
- After the deadline for registration, you will receive a link to a survey to confirm the necessary conditions for course completion (technical requirements and time availability), as well as to answer course specific questions.
This online course is offered free-of-charge.
Participants will enjoy the following benefits from the free online course:
- 3-months access to course materials (incl. exclusive video material and key readings), recording of webinars and speakers’ presentations.
- Participation in live webinars with renowned subject matter experts.
- Exclusive access to the UNSSC online social learning environment with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues.
Certificates from the United Nations System Staff College will be awarded to participants upon completion of the course.