The UN Summer Academy offers executive education, learning and knowledge exchange to those working to advance sustainable development approaches. Combining academic rigour with cutting-edge thinking, it provides a platform for participants to engage in discussions on issues of relevance for the work of the UN and its partners in the context of the 2030 Agenda.
Leveraging the presence of 19 UN entities in Bonn, as well as numerous leading institutions in international development, the academy provides an unprecedented opportunity for dialogue with thought leaders who are currently guiding and inspiring the work of the UN.
A Share Fair is organised as part of the academy, which brings together various German and regional actors and initiatives across different sectors, and showcases the diversity of programmatic approaches and practices, while fostering networking and collaboration.
Thanks to a generous contribution from the Federal Republic of Germany, the UN Summer Academy can be offered at a reduced price of 1,000 USD.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will have:
- Have deepened their knowledge of the core substance and processes related to the 2030 Agenda, the Paris Agreement as well as the Financing for Development process;
- Have an increased awareness of the specific roles of different development partners as well as related cooperation opportunities;
- Have had a first-hand exposure to good practices in the area of sustainable development programming and implementation;
- Have gained knowledge and skills on building substantive and sustainable partnerships and enhancing their networks.
The UN Summer Academy combines plenary sessions with interactive opportunities for knowledge exchange and experience sharing, leveraging the perspectives of diverse stakeholders. Through a Share Fair and an excursion, the programme provides participants with networking opportunities.
The topic for the UN Summer Academy 2017 is Localising the 2030 Agenda.
As part of the UN Summer Academy, a Share Fair is envisaged, which will bring together different German and regional actors and initiatives across different sectors, to showcase the diversity of programmatic approaches and practices and foster networking. As a special feature in 2017, the City of Bonn will present its unique project partnerships with cities around the world, strengthening local implementation of sustainability principles and climate partnerships. During an excursion in the wider region, participants will explore local projects, which combine social, economic and environmental considerations in an exemplary way.
The academy will also cater to the participants’ well-being by organising a rich cultural programme featuring the great opportunities in terms of culture and nature the Bonn area provides.
UN staff, government representatives, civil society representatives, academics, business representatives, as well as a select number of Master and post-graduate students.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of 1,000 USD covers the following:
- Five days of training, including a half-day excursion to a sustainable development project;
- Exclusive access to our online learning platform with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues;
- All course materials, resources and contacts.
Participants are expected to book and cover all costs related to their travel, accommodation, meals, visa and all extra costs.
Certificates of Attendance from the UN System Staff College will be awarded to participants who complete the course.
To learn more about the UN Summer Academy, including its past editions, click here.