The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the various UN reform processes currently underway call for UN managers to lead more effective teams; deliver increasingly meaningful results; become role models for UN leadership values and behaviours; contribute to transforming the organization by fostering a culture of innovation; implement change; and ultimately strengthen the UN’s ability to achieve the 2030 Agenda.
The UN System Executive Management Programme (EMP) is tailor-made to prepare UN staff in leadership and management positions to achieve these objectives. The programme has been designed to provide practical tools and knowledge to help managers address the complex realities they face, improving speed, responsiveness, and impact, both in challenging field locations and at headquarters.
This blended programme leverages UNSSCs academic network, instructional design expertise, and position within the UN system to create a highly-relevant, engaging, impactful and cost-effective programme. The curriculum combines real-life case studies from across the UN system with tested management tools and models, delivered by an interdisciplinary international faculty team and UN-experienced coaches.
For more information, feel free to watch recordings of our previous online open house, and browse a sample of the EMP online modules here, by clicking on 'Log in as a guest'.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Monitor and evaluate staff performance and address under-performance in a constructive manner;
- Motivate and coach staff, supporting their career development;
- Communicate more effectively, both within teams and units, and to external audiences;
- Utilize tools and frameworks for analyzing and making decisions in a structured manner;
- Translate overall visions into realistic goals, by planning more strategically;
- Better harness financial data and statistics for decision making and communication;
- Communicate more effectively with staff, senior managers and peers;
- Build and maintain long-term partnerships with key stakeholders;
- Effectively manage change and guide teams and staff through transition;
- Be a part of, and contribute to, a UN inter-agency peer network.
The UN System Executive Management Programme follows learner-centred design principles, and applies adult learning, case-based learning and social learning theories.
The programme consists of 4 Components:
- Online Learning;
- 360-Degree Assessment (designed around the UN System Leadership Framework)
- Executive Coaching sessions; and
- a Residential Workshop.
During the programme you will have access to all materials, which are published on a dedicated UN Executive Lounge on UNSSC's learning platform, from your computer and/or mobile device. From this dedicated learning space you will be able to participate in online discussions with peers and online moderators at any time.
The 360-Degree Assessment will help you gain insights into your own management style, and the coaching sessions will assist in translating learning into action. The residential workshop focuses on the application of learning, while bringing together a diverse array of managers, allowing for cross-fertilization and engagement. You will work on authentic cases, collectively addressing challenges and seeking solutions. Resource persons and relevant experts will facilitate the problem-solving processes.
The programme consists of 4 Components:
Online Phase: 20 April – 10 July 2020
15 weeks of online learning with an international faculty team, including peer sharing:
- Module 1: People Management
- Module 2: Performance Management
- Module 3: Communication
- Module 4: Partnership-building
- Module 5: Innovation
- Module 6: Change Management
- Module 7: Financial Resources Management
- Module 8: Strategic Planning
- Module 9: Executive Decision-making
360-Degree Assessment: 22 April - 27 May 2020
You will undertake a 360-Degree Assessment, incorporating feedback from direct reports, supervisors and peers. This assessment has been specifically designed utilizing the UN System Leadership Framework, to enable immediate impact.
Executive Coaching Sessions: 18 May - 17 July 2020
Two one-on-one sessions with an experienced executive coach, based on your 360-Degree Assessment report. All coaches either have a UN senior management background or have experience in coaching UN middle and/or senior managers.
Residential Workshop in Turin, Italy: 31 August - 4 September 2020
An intensive week-long workshop, building on the learning delivered online. You will be working with other managers from across the system, applying learning through engaging case-studies, and contextualizing to your needs and realities.
We welcome UN officials in management and leadership functions at headquarters and in the field. Participants are expected to serve at P5+ or equivalent levels.
Exceptions can be made for participants serving at P4 or equivalent levels in case of comparable management responsibilities.
Managers from NGOs associated with the UN and government officials from member states are also welcome.
A similar programme is mandatory for second reporting officers in the UN Secretariat.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The programme fee of $4,900 includes:
- Tuition and materials for nine online learning Modules; a 360-Degree Assessment (aligned with the UN System Leadership Framework); and two Executive Coaching sessions.
- Tuition and materials for the five-day intense residential workshop at the UN Campus in Turin, Italy.
The fee does not include travel, board and lodging, and other incidental expenses of participants while participating at the residential component of the programme at the UN Campus.
The UN System Staff College will award Certificates of Completion to all participants who meet completion requirements.