The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development demands new approaches to knowledge and skills development for all actors. It requires issues-based modus operandi, fostering new partnerships to identify key problems and opportunities, leveraging diverse means of implementation, and facilitating joint action to ensure progress and maximize results. The nature and ambition of the 2030 Agenda requires new and effective partnerships to ensure its implementation.
Recognizing the growing importance of South-South and Triangular Cooperation (SS&TC) in accelerating the implementation of the 2030 Agenda, the UN System Staff College offers this course in close cooperation with the UN Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC). The course builds a common understanding of the theory and practice of South-South and Triangular Cooperation as a means of development cooperation. It equips participants with the key principles, tools and methods needed to comprehend the challenges and opportunities inherent in the approach, as well as to better understand the roles of different actors involved and to mobilise relevant partnerships. It explores the catalytic role the UN can play in helping to further promote the South-South Cooperation agendas of its member states and development partners as a whole.
The course expands its coverage beyond individual UN staff and UN Country Team members to governments and institutional focal points on South-South and Triangular Cooperation.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- demonstrate a solid understanding of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the paradigm shift that it brings;
- understand the foundations and the modalities of the SS&TC approach in the context of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
- familiarize with the most recent tools and methods applied by various stakeholders in the area of SS&TC;
- effectively apply SS&TC in advancing the national development priorities and implementation of the 2030 Agenda in their respective countries.
Through interactive and participatory sessions, combined with inputs from subject matter experts from around the world, participants will share practices and explore ways to enhance political, economic, social and technical collaboration across the three pillars of sustainable development and to mobilise South-South and Triangular Cooperation.
Day 1: building a clear conceptual framework for understanding SS&TC in the context of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development: historical background and rationale, principles, modalities, and approaches.
Day 2: exploring the diversity of SS&TC programmes and approaches in support of national sustainable development priorities: meeting key partners and players, understanding key driving forces for cooperation, and the tools and strategies applied.
Day 3: implementing SS&TC initiatives at country level: important steps and success factors; monitoring and evaluating SS&TC; way forward.
UN staff and development practitioners; governments and institutional focal points on South-South and Triangular Cooperation.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of 2,000 USD will cover the following:
- three days of training with a balance of presentations and group work on case studies and exercises.
- exclusive access to UNSSC online social learning environment with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues.
- all course materials, resources and contacts.
Participants are expected to cover all travel costs related to their attendance in the course.
Joint Certificate from the UN System Staff College and UN Office for South-South Cooperation will be awarded to participants upon completion of the course.