Climate change is a crosscutting development issue that affects every aspect of sustainable development and the entire 2030 Agenda. The Paris Agreement on Climate Change, along with the 2030 Agenda, including the Sustainable Development Goals, forms the most comprehensive blueprint to date for eliminating extreme poverty, reducing inequality, and protecting the planet. Together with the Addis Ababa Action Agenda, and the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction, these documents constitute an integral plan of action for people, our planet, and prosperity, which requires all countries and stakeholders to act together. Sustainable development and climate action are deeply interconnected and interdependent. For example:
- Achieving zero-hunger cannot be done without protecting food systems;
- Cities and communities cannot be sustainable without adequate protection from extreme weather events;
- Ensuring children’s health is not possible without addressing the increase in climate change-driven vector-borne diseases;
- Economic development cannot be sustainable without reversing over-reliance on carbon-intensive energy sources.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- explain key elements of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change and the 2030 Agenda, and the role of climate action in the broader context of sustainable development;
- identify and articulate the interrelations and inter-dependencies between the Paris Agreement on Climate Change and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in five critical dimensions of the sustainable development: People, Planet, Prosperity, Peace and Partnership;
- identify and articulate best practices to ensure coherence and mutual reinforcement between the Paris Agreement on Climate Change and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
- explain existing tools and instruments to mainstream sustainable development and climate action into national development policies and planning.
In contrast to the less collaborative format of traditional Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), UNSSC online courses combine tutored components with synchronous and asynchronous activities, comprising approximately two hours of knowledge acquisition, two hours of knowledge application to real-life and training scenarios, as well as group work and collaboration with peers. In addition to engaging in self-paced learning, participants in UNSSC online courses also benefit from live webinars with renowned experts on sustainable climate change and sustainable development, allowing real-time virtual interaction between the instructors and participants.
The instructor-led webinars for this course will take place every week between 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm CET or 8.00am - 10.00 am EST. These live sessions are conducted on the WebEx platform with toll and toll-free numbers and/or ability to connect via the internet for the audio component; no special software is required.
The course will frame the climate change impact and action around five core cornerstones of 2030 Agenda: People, Planet, Prosperity, Peace and Partnership.
- Week 1: Introduction: Sustainable Development, Climate Change and Climate Action.
- Week 2: Climate Change and People: The Social Dimension of Sustainable Development (People);
- Week 3: Climate Change and Environmental Protection (Planet);
- Week 4: Climate Change and Economic Development (Prosperity);
- Week 5: Climate Change and Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions (Peace);
- Week 6: Partnerships and Means of Implementation for Climate Action (Partnership).
Development practitioners from the UN system, governments, non-governmental organizations, the private sector, civil society and academia.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee covers the following:
- Unlimited access to course materials (incl. exclusive video material and key readings), recording of webinars and speakers’ presentations;
- Participation in live webinars with renowned subject matter experts on sustainable development;
- Exclusive access to UNSSC online social learning environment with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues.
Certificates of Participation will be awarded to participants subject to the completion of all modules and quizzes, successful submission of exercises and assignments, and full participation in all live online sessions and discussion forums for each topic covered in the course.