Monitoring and Evaluation are essential for the successful delivery of Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development as well as the Paris Agreement.
Designed and delivered with a contribution from the UN Evaluation Group (UNEG), this course provides an overview of key concepts, trends and tools relevant to the monitoring and evaluation functions within the UN system.
Tailored to address the requirements of the new agenda, the course takes into account the global indicator framework, which will guide the monitoring and evaluation of its goals and targets. Data collection, as well as effective approaches to monitoring and evaluation, including participatory approaches to monitoring and accountability, will be critical to ensuring that the most vulnerable groups are accounted for in policy development and programming.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will have:
- Gained a better understanding of the role of monitoring and evaluation in the UN system;
- Further developed their knowledge and skills in designing of monitoring and evaluation plans as well as evaluation design and methodology;
- An overview of the management of evaluation;
- Exchanged experiences, lessons learned and good practices emanating from the UN system and international cooperation.
The course will adopt a blended format of instructional sessions, experience sharing and peer-to-peer learning. Participants will work on real-world examples and exercises to strengthen learning retention and application.
Course enrolment will be limited to 25 participants to maximize interaction with the course instructors and derive most benefit out of small group work.
- Day 1: M&E in the Context of Agenda 2030 and Data for Development
- Day 2: Monitoring Progress Towards the SDGs
- Day 3: Designing Programme or Project Evaluation
- Day 4: Engaging National Partners in M&E
UN staff involved in project/programme management, including design, monitoring and evaluation.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of 2,000 USD covers the following:
- Four days of training with a balance of presentations and group work on case studies and exercises;
- Exclusive access to our online learning platform with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues;
- All course materials, resources and contacts.
Participants are expected to cover all travel costs related to their attendance in the course. Accommodation in a hotel in town will be booked in advance by the UNSSC; however, the accommodation costs will be borne by the participants.
Certificates of Attendance from the UN System Staff College will be awarded to participants who complete the course.