This three-month online development programme is tailored for Executive Officers and coordination professionals whose roles require them to be efficient and versatile multitaskers - who can effectively balance changing priorities while communicating well with various audiences and colleagues.
The course provides participants with tools, templates and techniques to significantly increase productivity in the workplace, and strengthen skills to deal effectively with rising responsibilities and complex activities.
Upon successful completion of this development programme, participants will be able to:
- Become more self-aware in order to develop a more complete picture of their respective interests, values and skills by gathering input from several sources
- Identify, prepare for, and respond to events in each of the four VUCA categories (Volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity)
- Manage time and commitments
- Develop new learning and memory improvement skills to easily remember things
- Maximize reading efficiency and save time by improving reading skills and comprehension rates
- Choose appropriate tools to implement external and internal analysis and how to bring them together.
- Be aware of process inputs, tools, techniques and outputs attributed to the Risk Analysis process.
- Apply appropriate problem solving and decision-making processes and methods; to identify common obstacles to effective problem solving, to effectively apply Multi-Criteria analysis as a decision-making tool for complex problems and to use Pareto analysis and the Pareto principle
- Embrace innovation and apply it to a context, the basics of design thinking, a process-driven approach to innovation and problem solving, and how they can enable and cultivate a culture of innovation in their teams.
- Ensure that their decisions benefit the organization by properly evaluating their effectiveness, thus helping them to stay on track or make subsequent changes.
- Apply phases of decision-making process using different models (such as PrOACT) and their respective elements
- Take account of the wide range of views that different stakeholders may have about a decision; how to encourage transparency and accountability among those who take decisions on behalf of the organization; how to align choices with ethical standards and the organization's underlying values.
- Employ strategies and tactics that will ensure a successful negotiation with partners, by exercising diplomacy, building trust and maintaining long-term relationships with key stakeholders.
- Effectively draft a wide variety of documents through increased sensitivity to language, structure and content
- Make a meeting successful by understanding facilitation and designing the facilitation process
- Draft presentations and short speeches using key principles of public speaking and apply practical techniques for making presentations lively and easy to use on the day (message, structure, stories and signposts)
- Develop insights into how to manage highly effective, high-performing teams with tools and techniques.
This course is delivered online over a period of three months, including a break period from 26 Oct to 6 Nov. It combines synchronized sessions in our virtual classroom, led by subject-matter experts, with self-paced activities and interactive group discussions.
The weekly synchronized sessions are conducted on the WebEx online platform. Participants need a computer (or mobile device), a reliable internet connection and either headset with microphone to connect to the audio through the computer, or a telephone. We recommend accessing audio through the computer. No special software is required, but participants must be able to access WebEx, so please check the admin rights on your computer. We will send instructions for WebEx access to registered participants. We recommend you download the application and test your access in advance.
- The twelve synchronized online sessions are from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm Rome-time (8:00 am – 10:00 am New York-time), once a week.
- Participants will have a break from 26 Oct -6 Nov 2020.
- The self-paced components and the weekly discussion forum are designed and structured on the UNKampus, UNSSC’s Learning Platform.
Module 1: Personal Effectiveness
- Self-management, surviving VUCA (flexibility, adaptability) and work-life balance
- The science of happiness - the happiness factor for improving workplace productivity (Why happy employees are 12 per cent more productive)
Module 2: Effective time management and stress management
Module 3. Improving reading speed and comprehension rates
- Memory techniques to easily remember things
- How to improve reading speed and comprehension rates
Module 4: Analytical Thinking
- Techniques for analysing situations (SWOT, PESTLE, Quintilian)
- Analysing risks and considering longer-term impact
Module 5: System Thinking - Adopting a systems perspective
Module 6: Problem-solving
- Problem-solving process
- Multi-criteria analysis
- Pareto analysis
- Anticipating Business issues, creative solutions and effective strategies
- Evaluation process
Module 7: Stakeholder Management
Module 8: Negotiation Skills
Module 9: Writing Skills
- Readability of a document
- Structuring a document
- Conveying messages
- Writing styles
- Practical exercises (with individual feedback)
Module 10: Managing Meetings
- Planning and preparing for a meeting
- effective meetings
- role of the chairperson
- facilitating meetings
- giving and receiving feedback
- intervention techniques
- dealing with difficult behaviours
Module 11: Effective Presentation Skills
- Structuring a presentation
- focusing on the interest of the audience
- visual aids
- Presenting with confidence
Module 12: Managing People
- Team development benefits
- Team development phases (Tuckman)
- Team roles (Belbin)
- Group dynamics
- Managing individual and team performance
- Leadership within the team (Katzenbach/Smith)
- Assessing own team