In order to achieve results for the UN, staff need to possess the ability to interact and communicate effectively with people of different cultures and backgrounds. This course helps participants increase their cultural sensitivity and awareness, enabling them to work, interact and communicate in diverse work environments, as well as build relationships with people from different cultural and ethnic backgrounds, and mitigate cross-cultural challenges.
Upon successful completion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Develop the skills needed to practice respectful and caring behaviour toward culturally diverse individuals and groups
- Appreciate, affirm, and show sensitivity to all cultural backgrounds
- Listen actively in conversation with people of vastly different experiences and beliefs
- Be able to empathize with others
- Learn from one another, focusing on behaviours and the situation at hand, not on the individual.
- Develop global mindset with an open attitude
- Develop self-awareness through understanding of one's own cultural value, beliefs and attitudes
- Deal with verbal and non-verbal behaviours within a culture
- Describe the development stages of cultural intelligence
- Recognize the five silent "languages" of culture – time, space, material things, friendships, and agreements
- Explain how values are influenced by culture
- Recognize the three dimensions of cultural awareness when interacting with other cultures
The workshop employs an adult learning approach characterized by a participatory and interactive training style. It engages participants in practical exercises and group work, and utilizes case studies and best practices.
This course is delivered online. It combines synchronized online sessions in our virtual classroom, led by subject experts, with self-paced activities and interactive group discussions.
The weekly synchronized sessions are conducted on the Zoom online platform. Participants need a computer (or mobile device), a reliable internet connection and either a headset with microphone to connect to the audio through the computer, or a telephone. We recommend accessing audio through the computer. No special software is required, but participants must be able to access Zoom, so please check the admin rights on your computer. We will send instructions for Zoom access to registered participants. We recommend you download the application and test your access in advance.
The synchronized online sessions are on Thursdays from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm Rome Time (8:00 am – 10:00 am NY Time).
The self-paced components and discussion forum for each week of the course are designed and structured on UNKampus, UNSSC’s Learning Platform.
Week 1 – Understanding diversity and inclusiveness:
- Recognizing what respect means to each individual and how to communicate according to five specific categories of respect;
- Behaviours and perspectives necessary for successful and respectful conflict resolution before, during, and after the resolution process;
- Exhibiting behaviours that influence others to be part of the solution;
- How to give and receive feedback on negative behaviour in a respectful manner;
- Understanding ways to surpass barriers and seek personal growth
Week 2 – Developing cultural intelligence skills and awareness:
- Learn the definition of cultural competence and what it looks like
- Understand how to be self-aware and identify the common dimensions of self-awareness
- Seven skills that are common themes in becoming interculturally sensitive
- Examine elements of your own culture
Week 3 – Generating cultural awareness about the world around us
- Developing Your Cultural Awareness
- Explore the three dimensions of cultural awareness
- Learn how values differ among cultures
- Understand how to recognize norms and values and acknowledge differences
Week 4 – Cultural sensitivity and effective communication skills
- Learn how to build rapport with people from different cultures
- Gain awareness of how to communicate with your body
- Explore how to give feedback to ensure understanding
- Practice techniques for giving and receiving feedback
- Understand the differences between high and low context communication
Week 5 – Respectful behaviours
- Building bridges: Learn how to build common ground
- Explore behaviours that support cultural intelligence and competency
- Understand how to handle sensitive situations
- Action plan
All UN Staff members up to P4 level
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of $1000 covers all tuition-related costs, including learning materials, access to online platforms, etc.