The UNSSC and simpleshow foundation are pleased to announce the SD explainer video contest. Submit an explainer video on a sustainable development topic of your choice, and stand to win a free seat in the UNSSC Foundational Course on the 2030 Agenda!
Launched in 2017, the UNSSC and simpleshow foundation Volunteer Initiative allows individuals and organisations to create videos to promote action and awareness around the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Anyone can register online to be part of the Volunteer Initiative, which enables free access to a premium version of the video creation tool mysimpleshow.
Any original video made through the initiative will be considered for the contest. No prior experience in video creation is required. You can script your message and the tool guides you through a simple process of visualisation and voiceover production.
Submissions will be evaluated on the substantive and stylistic quality of sustainable development messaging, as well as the overall audiovisual presentation of the video.
UNSSC will award the winner with free participation in the September 2018 edition of the online Foundational Course on the 2030 Agenda. The simpleshow foundation will award the first and second runner-up with packages of customised simpleshow illustrations.
The three awardees will also be recognised at this year’s UN Summer Academy, where their videos will be screened.
All strong submissions will be featured across a variety of sustainable development communications channels, and among the UNSSC’s and simpleshow foundation’s networks. This contest is an excellent opportunity to share your unique message on sustainable development with a wide audience.
How to Participate:
- Sign up for the Volunteer Initiative, if you have not already done so, at this link.
You will receive an email confirming your registration, with a link to a webinar explaining how to create your video. We recommend you watch this webinar. In parallel, the simpleshow foundation team will grant you exclusive access to a premium 'foundation account'.
- Once your account has been upgraded to a foundation account, create your video. Encounter any technical or other questions during the video creation process? Not to worry – on Friday, 13 April, the Volunteer Initiative team hosted a free webinar in which we answered questions from the live audience and provided tips. This gives you the opportunity to perfect your video before submitting it. Watch the webinar recording here.
- Submit your video here, by Sunday, 3 June 2018.
21 March 2018: Contest opens
13 April 2018, 3 PM CEST: Free webinar to consult with video creation experts on how to optimise your submission. Watch the webinar recording here.
3 June 2018: Submission deadline
- Videos must be on a topic related to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its SDGs.
- Videos must be created through the Volunteer Initiative. Other formats will not be accepted.
- Videos must be in English.
- Please write the script in your own words as videos will be screened for plagiarism. Likewise, please ensure that the images and audio components are royalty-free.
- Co-authored videos, or videos created on behalf of an organisation or project, will be accepted. Please note, however, that prizes can only be claimed by one individual from the team.
UNSSC Knowledge Centre for Sustainable Development: Mhabeni Bona, email@example.com, +49 (0) 228 815 2657, Haus Carstanjen, Martin-Luther-King-Str.8, 53175 Bonn, Germany
simpleshow foundation: Ilya Kompasov, firstname.lastname@example.org, 4040 NE 2nd Avenue, STE 312, Miami, FL 33137, United States