In view of the growing relevance of South-South Cooperation within the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the UNSSC Knowledge Centre for Sustainable Development offers this new course in close cooperation with the UN Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC), with additional faculty from the Islamic Development Bank and the South Centre.
The course builds a common understanding of the theory and practice of South-South and Triangular Cooperation (SS&TC) as a means of development cooperation. It equips participants with the key principles, tools and methods needed to comprehend the challenges and opportunities inherent in the approach, as well as to better understand the roles of different actors involved and to mobilise relevant partnerships. It explores the catalytic role the UN can play in helping to further promote the South-South Cooperation agendas of its member states and development partners as a whole.
The course expands its coverage beyond individual UN staff and UN Country Team members to include governments and institutional focal points on South-South and Triangular Cooperation.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Understand the foundations and the modalities of the South-South & Triangular Cooperation approach in the context of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
- Be familiar with the most recent tools and methods in the area of SS&TC;
- Be able to effectively apply SS&TC in advancing the national development priorities and implementation of the 2030 Agenda in their respective host countries.
Through interactive and participatory sessions, combined with inputs from subject matter experts from around the world, participants will share practices and explore ways to enhance political, economic, social and technical collaboration across the three pillars of sustainable development and to mobilise relevant partnerships.
- Day 1: Understanding SS&TC in the context of the Agenda 2030 and Paris Agreement.
- Day 2: National stock-taking. Building practical SS&TC programmes in support to national priorities.
- Day 3: SS&TC initiatives in the field. Way Forward.
UN staff and development practitioners.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of 1,500 USD covers the following:
- Three days of training with a balance of presentations and group work on case studies and exercises;
- Exclusive access to our online learning platform with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues;
- All course materials, resources and contacts.
Participants are expected to cover all travel costs related to their attendance in the course. Accommodation in a hotel in town will be booked in advance by the UNSSC; however, the accommodation costs will be borne by the participants.
Certificates of Attendance from the UN System Staff College will be awarded to participants who complete the course.