Administrative assistants have to cover different roles, are constantly juggling a wide array of tasks and have to deal with many people on a daily basis. They are the backbone of any organization and office, especially in the UN context where staff turnover often occurs. This course provides participants with tools, templates and techniques to greatly increase productivity and effectiveness on the workplace. It is about working to the best of the abilities, and encouraging, in turn, the best in those who work in the same office environment.
The course is designed and delivered in partnership with the Institute for Leadership, Excellence & Development, Inc., which works with business professionals around the world who want to improve their ability to deliver projects and lead teams.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Be able to explain the importance of professional presence on the job.
- Apply self-management techniques to become more effective and efficient.
- Demonstrate improved communications skills, including listening, questioning and being more assertive.
- More effectively recognize and manage conflict, as well as deal with difficult people.
- Influence others even without authority over them.
- Make their style work to their favour.
- Use a five step model for getting things done with less stress.
- Apply easy-to-use templates and tools to successfully deliver projects.
- Implement practical approaches to juggle competing priorities.
This course is delivered online. It combines synchronized online sessions on our virtual classroom, led by subject experts, with self-paced activities and interactive group discussions.
The weekly synchronized sessions are conducted on the WebEx online platform. Participants need a computer (or mobile device), a reliable internet connection and either a headset with microphone to connect to the audio through the computer, or a telephone. We recommend accessing audio through the computer. No special software is required; but participants must be able to access WebEx, so please check the admin rights on your computer. We will send instructions for WebEx access to registered participants. We recommend you download the application and test your access in advance.
The synchronized online sessions are from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm Rome Time (8:00 am – 10:00 am New York Time), on April 10, 17, 24 and May 2 & 8.
The self-paced components and discussion forum for each week of the course are designed and structured on UNKampus, UNSSC’s Learning Platform.
- Week 1 – Appearance, style and relationships: Recognize different styles and modify your approach accordingly can significantly help administrative assistants be more effective and influential. This session also outlines specific strategies to help build relationships based on trust and respect.
- Week 2 – Project Management for Administrative Assistants: Provide skills and insights to help administrative assistants deliver projects.
- Week 3 – Managing Time and Commitments: This is not a traditional time management session. Managing time is more than just having a to-do list.
- Week 4 – Influencing others: This session outlines well-researched perspectives and techniques to help the participants increase their ability to influence others.
- Week 5 – Managing Conflict & Stress: This session provides practical insights to help administrative assistants handle conflict better and lessons on how to manage the daily stress of professional life.
Administrative assistants (headquarters and field locations).
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of USD 1,250 covers full participation in the online course.