The course will give participants the chance to learn, practice, and plan how to use communication methods, techniques and strategies to advance the UN work programme. It integrates theory and professional experiences with drills and practical exercises to plan and produce engaging and effective communication pieces for various media. The course content centres on concrete and practical UN case studies.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Describe a range of skills, methods and techniques to achieve interesting, persuasive and successful communications;
- Identify and apply UN values-based communications in a systematic manner;
- Identify the defining elements of an effective communications strategy for a media and public relations campaign;
- Explain the dynamics of different types of media and how to manage them effectively;
- Gain practical and compelling speech writing and public speaking tips.
This course is delivered online. It combines synchronized sessions in our virtual classroom, led by subject matter experts, with self-paced activities and interactive group discussions.
The weekly synchronized sessions are conducted in the WebEx online platform. Participants need a computer (or mobile device), a reliable internet connection and either headset with microphone to connect to the audio through the computer, or a telephone. We recommend accessing audio through the computer. No special software is required; but participants must be able to access WebEx, so please check the admin rights on your computer. We will send instructions for WebEx access to registered participants. We recommend you download the application and test your access in advance.
The five synchronized online sessions are from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm Rome-time (8:00 am – 10:00 am New York-time), on TUESDAYS (May 9, 16, 23 and June 6) and FRIDAY June 2.
The self-paced components and discussion forum for each week of the course are designed and structured on the UNKampus, UNSSC’s Learning Platform.
- Week 1 – Communicating as One: Develop branded and coherent communications; engage a wide variety of audiences; raise awareness; achieve clarity.
- Week 2 – UN Values-based Communication: Skills, attitudes and principles required for communicating effectively for the UN.
- Week 3 – Communication Strategy: Apply project management to manage media campaigns; create a short communication strategy.
- Week 4 – Public Speaking: Develop public speaking skills and exercise techniques for effective, concise and professional speeches.
- Week 5 – Social Media: Explore use of social media by the UN and its entities; develop clear messages with social media tools.
All UN personnel (P and GS staff) involved in communications
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The course fee of 1,250 USD covers full participation in the online course.