In May 2017, UNSSC delivered in partnership with the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency a career development workshop for 23 Swedish JPOs and SARCs (link). The workshop received 100% recommendation rate by participants. Building on the success of this pilot and on the decade-long experience UNSSC has in designing learning programmes for JPOs, this workshop is customized to the career development needs of JPOs and SARCs willing to pursue their professional career in the UN system. It is a residential workshop, consisting of three days of dynamic and interactive face-to-face sessions, focusing on creating a sustainable career, self-awareness assessments, compiling P11s, CVs, and going through mock competency based interviews, with UN HR officers, managers and career advisers. It will be preceded by online preparatory work and followed by an individual and tailored action plan.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Develop clear, effective and compelling P11 forms and CVs.
- Take on competency-based interviews (CBI) and situational interviews with more confidence and preparedness, with a more solid understanding of how to answer questions clearly and effectively.
- Relate personal and professional strengths and weaknesses to ways to build a sustainable career.
- Adopt practical networking techniques.
This face-to-face workshop is mostly activity-based. Participants will practice the steps leading to a competency-based interview, and will simulate the interview itself. They will constantly receive feedback and customized advice, as the trainers will be present in the room at all stages.
Concisely indicate the topics covered in the course, e.g.
- Day 1: Your dream career starts with you (essential elements to build a sustainable and fit professional career); The leading role of international civil servants; team-building & networking exercise
- Day 2: the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) assessment; Getting started and showing your uniqueness on paper; Introduction to CBI techniques
- Day 3: CBI mock sessions, demonstrations and feedback
Junior Professional Officers (JPOs) and Special Assistants to Resident Coordinators (SARCs) in their final year of their contract. JPOs and SARCs in their first year of contract will eventually be taken into consideration on an ad-hoc basis.
Cost of participation
Cost of participation:
The programme fee of 2,400 USD covers the following elements:
The fee includes bed and breakfast at the Lancaster Hotel, daily transportation to and from downtown Torino and the UN Campus, all learning material needed and a one on one career coaching session.
- Bed and breakfast arrangement at the Lancaster Hotel;
- Daily transportation to and from downtown Torino and the UN Campus;
- Pre-workshop assessment tests and learning material (Knowdell Career Values Card Sort®; Myer-Briggs Type Indicator®; hard copy of the StrengthsFinder 2.0 book);
- A three day face-to-face training with individual coaching sessions and unique networking opportunities;
- Welcome dinner.
- Concrete final action plan.
The fee does not include travel, meals and other incidentals.
Certificates of attendance from the UN System Staff College will be awarded to participants who complete the course.